- Great for juicing
- Very nutritious
Wheat grass is a microgreen or sprout grown from the common Wheat plant. It is most commonly consumed as a juice. Very nutritious. Ready to harvest in around 7-12 days.
How to Grow Wheatgrass:
- Measure and wash seed: measure out the required amount of seed and wash in a sieve or similar to remove any dust. Remove any noticeably damaged or discoloured seeds.
- Soak the seed in water for 12 hours in a bowl or jar. After 12 hours the seed should have doubled in size.
- Sprout the seeds: rinse and drain all water from the jar or bowl every 8 hours making sure to keep the seeds moist but not overly wet. Continue this process until the seeds have germinated.
- Planting the seeds: line a tray with a around 1-2cm of soil. Spread the seeds evenly over the surface so that the seeds are touching but not overly crowded. Press seeds into the soil surface but do not cover with soil. Water lightly and cover the tray with paper towel or another tray to keep the moisture in. The trays can be kept indoors or outdoors but should be kept out of direct sunlight.
- Growing: for the next few days its imporatant to keep the sprouts moist so check them regularly and water when necessary. After around 4-5 days your grass should be be growing well and the cover can be removed.
- Continue growing the wheatgrass uncovered but out of direct sunlight for a few more days until the grass 'forks'. This is when the single blades of grass split into into two. At this stage your grass is probably around 15-20cm tall and ready to harvest. If you are unsure if your wheatgrass is ready or not, its normally better to harvest a bit early rather than a bit late; older wheatgrass can be bitter.
- Harvest: cut the wheatgrass just above soil level using a pair of scissors. Wheatgrass will re-shoot 2 or 3 times but becomes less productive with each harvest.
(Product number: Z0002-P)
Seeds per gram: 20 seeds
|Botanical name:||Triticum aestivum|
|Packet type:||BULK seed|
|Quarantine restrictions:||NOT TO WA OR TAS|
|Seeds per gram:||20|
|Photo credits:||Photo / CC BY-SA 3.0|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other The Seed Collection Pty Ltd users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.