Use your site to the best Advantage!
Author: John Mauger Date Posted: 24 March 2016
Below are a few tips, ideas and suggestions on how to use particular areas of your garden to the best advantage:
- A brick or concrete wall will provide wind protection and will store heat. This will help things to ripen earlier and could extend the growing season for some plants further into the autumn.
- A fence will provide protection and somewhere to grow climbing plants such as beans, peas and ‘staking’ tomatoes.
- A window box outside a north or east facing window could be planted with herbs, flowers or small vegetables.
- Wire fixed to the side of a carport and planted with climbing beans could provide some shade in the summer for your car as well as being a screen from neighbours.
- A leaky gutter or downpipe on your house or even a neighbours’ shed could provide extra water to grow ‘thirsty’ vegetables such as rhubarb or sweet corn.
- ‘Stacking’ plants is another great way to fit more food plants into a small space (more on this later ).
Take a few minutes ‘time out’ and have a wander around your ‘domain’. Find the warm spots, the cool spots, the damp spots, the shady spots and the drier spots. They will all grow something, why not something to eat?
Related blog posts:
Author: Lauren Eshman Date Posted: 27 August 2016
Gardening as a hobby and renting a home don’t always go well together. Vast sunny yards often go to waste with the tenant unable to dig it up and plant a plot. However, all is not lost! Container gardens are the perfect solution!
Recent blog posts:
Author: Bill Date Posted: 28 September 2017
Raised garden beds have become extremely popular in recent years, and many gardeners are moving in this direction. There are many upsides to raised garden beds, but there are also some downsides that should be considered before making your final decision.
Author: Bill Date Posted: 21 September 2017
When you first decide you want to grow your own vegetables, the choice of crops on offer is almost overwhelming. Here are five reasons why radishes should be one of the vegetables to make it to your veggie garden shortlist!
Author: Jennifer Charlotte Date Posted: 1 August 2017
Some seeds you plant may require special treatments. In this article we will explain what these treatments are, why they are necessary.
Author: Jennifer Charlotte Date Posted: 17 July 2017
Gardens look much more appealing with some color and life but many people don't know where to start when it comes to flowers. However some flowers are so easy to grow that all you have to do is sow, water and enjoy.
Author: John Mauger Date Posted: 26 June 2017
This article contains a range of homemade recipes/methods for controlling pests and other problems. While they are considered safe, only use them when and as needed as most are not selective and may kill beneficial insects as well.
View all blog posts