Author: The Seed Collection
Date Posted:28 September 2016
As the weather warms up this month there are a lot more things that can be prepared for or planted. Unless you are wanting a crop for preserving, such as tomatoes, smaller plantings at regular intervals is the best option. This will ensure a more consistent supply and spare you from a glut of produce.
- Sow seed of carrots and parsnips, lettuce, and spring onions.
- Carrot seed is very fine and is loved by ants. To stop ants pirating seed mix it with some pepper before you sow it. Mixing some sand with the seed will make it easier to sow the seed more thinly.
- Prepare a spot for your first sowing of beans.
- Sow seed of pumpkins, melons, zucchinis and cucumbers in small pots or the bottom tray of an egg carton. Put one or two seeds per pot. Keep the pots inside or in a warm, sheltered spot outside and protect from possible late frosts. This will give you a head start when the weather is a bit warmer. Pumpkins resent any root disturbance so transplant carefully. If you are using egg cartons just separate and plant the whole cell. As with all seed/seedlings make sure that the soil in the containers does not dry out. Tomatoes and capsicums can also be raised the same way. They can be sown singly in egg cartons or a number of seeds in a larger pot. Sow the seed so the plants will be about 25mm apart when they grow. Just sow the seed on top of the soil mix and cover with a thin layer of mix. Press down with your hand and then give a soft watering.
- Prepare places for planting tomatoes.
- Sow lettuce, corn, silverbeet and beetroot.
- Sow summer flowering annuals like cosmos, alyssum, marigolds, petunias and Californian poppy.
- Plant early varieties of tomato if all danger of frost has passed.
- Sow dill, basil, chives and sage.
- Prepare any available areas for later plantings.
- Keep on top of weeds.
- Check seedlings for pests
Click the links below to see a list of herbs, vegetable and flowers suitable for sowing in mid Spring in your climate (Australia).
Cool Climate- What to sow in mid Spring
Moderate Climate- What to sow in mid Spring
Warm Climate- What to sow in mid Spring
Tropical Climate- What to sow in mid Spring
or download our sowing chart here.