Horticultural Research and Supply Officer
Written by The Seed Collection Pty Ltd Date Posted: 30 April 2021
Role: Horticultural Research and Supply Officer
Date published: 30/04/2021
Company: The Seed Collection Pty Ltd
About the Business
The Seed Collection Pty Ltd is a small but fast-growing business dedicated to providing Australian home gardeners with quality herb, vegetable and flower seeds.
It's our goal to make seeds, gardening and growing food more accessible to more people. In the long term we aim to become the seed supplier of choice for Aussie home gardeners.
- Based in Knoxfield Victoria
- Currently a small friendly team of 7 staff
- We pride ourselves on our service, quality and efficiency
We are currently looking for a Research and Supply Officer to join our team.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the owner/director your primary responsibility will be the overseeing and continual improvement of our product range, product information and product quality. This will include:
- Researching and sourcing new products to add to our inventory. Sources will include manufacturers, wholesalers and growers. Both domestic and overseas.
- Updating our product database with new products.
- Maintaining and monitoring stock levels; using historical sales and lead times to forecast.
- Overseeing the production and development of our grow guides, articles, and other horticultural information we publish on our website.
- Overseeing and expanding our network of contracted third party seed growers.
- Implementing and maintaining a new database to better manage our quality, inventory and suppliers.
- Identifying and acting on opportunities for growth and improvement.
The successful candidate will be encouraged to take complete ownership of the role and will have opportunities to contribute ideas, develop their skills and can expect to quickly become a core member of the team.
Skills and Experience
To be considered for this role you will need an extensive knowledge of horticulture, in particular seeds and seed saving. Additionally, you will need strong organisational skills and a relentless desire to always improve.
Essential qualities/skills are:
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience or qualification in horticulture, agronomy or another related field.
- A passion for gardening/growing.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Ability to build systems and processes.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong organisational skills; a methodical and meticulous approach to all tasks.
- Strong computer literacy; the ability to learn and understand new software on the fly.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with intermittent support.
- Ability to take initiative and experiment while working within agreed boundaries.
- Ability to seek, research and develop new opportunities
- Current Driver’s Licence and own car
Salary and Position Details
This is a permanent full time role based in Knoxfield Victoria.
A competitive salary will be negotiated with the appropriate candidate commensurate with their experience and ability to grow the business.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a fast growing operation that places a great emphasis on integrity, honesty and the development of both the individual and business.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and resume with references to: email@example.com
For questions and further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications will be kept strictly confidential.
Recent blog posts:
Author: The Seed Collection Pty Ltd Date Posted: 7 May 2021
A sturdy obelisk is a great way of supporting climbing plants, and making one is easy with our steel garden finial. This short article explains what to do.
Author: The Seed Collection Pty Ltd Date Posted: 1 May 2021
Late autumn is a great time to be productive in the garden. The milder weather means it's less energy-sapping to be working outdoors, while the autumn colours provide a feast for the eyes to replace the fading summer blooms.
Author: The Seed Collection Pty Ltd Date Posted: 28 April 2021
Biofumigation is an organic way of reducing soil-borne diseases while also improving soil quality and nutrient levels. This article explains how it works, and gives a simple seven-step guide to using the technique.
Author: The Seed Collection Pty Ltd Date Posted: 27 April 2021
Mustard is easy to grow, and provides both tasty leaves and fiery seeds for use in the kitchen. Here's how to turn the seed harvest into the familiar mustard table condiment, using just a few store cupboard ingredients.
Author: The Seed Collection Pty Ltd Date Posted: 19 April 2021
If you're keen on mustard's tangy flavour, it's easy to grow a wide range of varieties in your garden. This article explains all you need to know, whether you're growing mustard for its tasty leaves or fiery seeds.
View all blog posts