Glass Sprouting Jar with clever screw on lid which also functions as a sieve and drainage stand.
Easy to grow your own sprouts at home. Fun activity to do with kids.
Healthy delicious and nutritious sprouts are fast to grow and the perfect addition to sandwiches, salads or any other meal.
BPA free and dishwasher safe.
Jar dimensions 14.5cm high x 9cm wide.
Instruction book included.
- Before starting, pick over your seeds to remove damaged ones along with any grit or debris, and then rinse clean using water and a fine sieve.
- Put the seeds into the jar and cover with approximately four times their volume of water, filling the jar to no more than three-quarters full. Attach lid.
- Put the jar in a cool, shaded place with good air circulation - a cupboard is ideal, but anywhere out of direct sun is fine. Leave the seeds to soak for between eight and twelve hours. As a general rule, the seeds should double in size during soaking.
- After soaking, drain the seeds by upturning the jar so that the seeds can fully drain - they need to stay damp, but will begin to ferment if left standing in water.
- Once the seeds are properly drained, return the jar to the cupboard.
- At least twice a day, fill the jar with cold water and drain. This rinses away any bacteria or fungus traces which can spark fermentation while at the same time gives the seeds the moisture they need to continue growing. Rinsing should be done more often in warmer weather.
- Keeping the sprouts in the dark throughout the whole process will produce sweeter shoots, but you can also put the jar on a sunny windowsill for the final day to give a greener, stronger-tasting result.
- After around three days of repeated rinsing and draining, your seeds should have sprouted. They're ready to harvest from when the sprouted tail is the same size as the original seed. Grains can be used now, while legumes and other seeds can be left to develop for a day or two longer - try sampling a sprout at regular intervals until they've reached the right taste and texture point for you. However, you should always halt the sprouting process before any leaves develop.
Once they're ready to harvest, give the sprouts a final rinse, and drain them thoroughly. Take the sprouts from the jar, discard any unsprouted seeds, and leave to dry on kitchen paper. Damp sprouts won't store well, quickly turning slimy or mushy.
Use the sprouts as soon as possible, although they can be kept for three or four days sealed in the refrigerator. Discard immediately if there any signs of mould or any unpleasant smell. Ideally, grow small batches at staggered intervals so you can always eat the sprouts at their freshest.
Product code: HFS002
We deliver Australia wide.
All orders are dispatched from our warehouse in Knoxfield, Victoria, Australia.
We do not deliver overseas.
Shipping cost is calculated using all the items in your shopping cart and your delivery postcode. The table below outlines the delivery options and costs.
Order dispatch time is currently 1-3 business days plus delivery time.
Please note we are unable to guarantee specific delivery dates, the delivery timeframes below are estimates only.
|Order contains:||Delivery options:||Delivery cost per order|
|VIC, NSW, ACT, QLD, TAS, SA, NT||WA|
|Small seed packets ONLY -||Economy Delivery||$2.50 or FREE on orders over $20||$5|
|Parcel Delivery||Capped rate of $6.99|
BULK seed, garden supplies, tools, or accessories -
Capped rate of $6.99
|Starting from $15.00
(Calculated by weight)
|Live Plants -||Live plants||Capped rate of $10.00|
*All orders sent to Western Australia are subject to mandatory inspection and fees by Quarantine WA. These fees are included in all shipping costs above.
**We will replace all orders that are lost or damaged in transit however we will not replace or refund orders simply because they were delivered later than estimated. Full details here.
Ratings & Reviews
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other The Seed Collection Pty Ltd users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.