Use your site to the best Advantage!
Written by John Mauger Date Posted: 24 March 2016
Below are a few tips, ideas and suggestions on how to use particular areas of your garden to the best advantage:
- A brick or concrete wall will provide wind protection and will store heat. This will help things to ripen earlier and could extend the growing season for some plants further into the autumn.
- A fence will provide protection and somewhere to grow climbing plants such as beans, peas and ‘staking’ tomatoes.
- A window box outside a north or east facing window could be planted with herbs, flowers or small vegetables.
- Wire fixed to the side of a carport and planted with climbing beans could provide some shade in the summer for your car as well as being a screen from neighbours.
- A leaky gutter or downpipe on your house or even a neighbours’ shed could provide extra water to grow ‘thirsty’ vegetables such as rhubarb or sweet corn.
- ‘Stacking’ plants is another great way to fit more food plants into a small space (more on this later ).
Take a few minutes ‘time out’ and have a wander around your ‘domain’. Find the warm spots, the cool spots, the damp spots, the shady spots and the drier spots. They will all grow something, why not something to eat?
Related blog posts:
Author: Lauren Eshman Date Posted: 27 August 2016
Gardening as a hobby and renting a home don’t always go well together. Vast sunny yards often go to waste with the tenant unable to dig it up and plant a plot. However, all is not lost! Container gardens are the perfect solution!
Recent blog posts:
Author: Jennifer Charlotte Date Posted: 29 November 2017
The fragrant smell of basil is delightful in the garden or the kitchen. This favorite herb is easy to grow and produces abundant leaves that are great for cooking. Following a few simple steps can help you grow delicious, healthy basil.
Author: Jennifer Charlotte Date Posted: 27 November 2017
Mistakes are part of gardening, but learning about the possible snags can save you a lot of trouble. Here's a look at 12 common gardening mistakes, and how to avoid them.
Author: Jennifer Charlotte Date Posted: 3 November 2017
Tomatoes are generally easy to grow but are prone to a number of pests and diseases. The following seven tips about how to grow tomatoes from seeds can help you grow healthy plants loaded with beautiful, luscious tomatoes.
View all blog posts